We all love jam, but most of store bought jam can be loaded with extra sugar and preservatives, so lets make a healthy jam at home. I love my strawberry chia jam spread over toast with peanut butter, or swirled into my morning smoothie bowl. This Strawberry Chia jam is quick , simple and easy to make. It is very healthy, vegan as well as gluten-free. When you make your own jam, you can use the freshest, sweetest fruit available and also you can control the amount and kind of sweetener used in jam. This Strawberry Chia Jam demands only three ingredients, 30 minutes which are always present in our pantry.
I have used strawberry – which is highly nutritious fruit, loaded with vitamin C and powerful antioxidants, in this jam recipe but you can make this chia jam using any other fruit of your choice. Strawberries have many other nutrients, vitamins, and minerals like folate, potassium, manganese, dietary fiber, and magnesium, that contribute to overall health.
Chia Seeds are amazing superfoods or superseeds. They’re packed with omega-3 fatty acids, rich in fiber and protein. They turn any liquid into a thick gel. Chia seeds will absorb several times their mass in liquid, creating a jelly-like substance in the process.
Homemade Strawberry Chia Jam Recipe
- 2 cups strawberries, destemmed and chopped in half
- 2 Tablespoons liquid sweetener
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
- Pinch of cinnamon(optional)
- Step 1 Transfer the chopped strawberry to a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook until the strawberry breaks down and becomes syrupy, 15-20 minutes. Mash the strawberry with the back of a spatula or a potato masher, leaving it as smooth or as lumpy as you like.
- Step 2 Off the heat, stir in 2 tablespoons of the sweetener. Taste and add more sweetener to taste. Stir in the chia seeds. Add a pinch of cinnamon and mix to combine.
- Step 3 Let stand 5 minutes, until thickened. This won’t quite reach the firm consistency of regular jam, but it will noticeably thicken.
- Step 4 If you’d like a thicker consistency, stir in more chia seeds 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Step 5 Once the jam has cooled to room temperature, transfer it to a jar or other storage container. Store in the fridge for about 2 weeks. The jam will thicken further and become more set once completely chilled.