I first tried waffle at my nearby cafe and loved it. Then it tried their many time. So I decided to make them at home and ordered a waffle maker. Traditional waffles are made using all purpose flour, which is not very healthy. So I made eggless whole wheat waffles at home.
This waffles are very simple and easy to make. They are vegan and vegetarian. They can also be made gluten free by using gluten free flour. I loved the way they turned out and now I am gonna do many experiments using waffle maker. So many recipes are on the way!
The batter that I have made here is the simple version and it is totally customisable. You can add chocolate chips, chopped strawberry or even blueberries to the waffle.
You can enjoy waffles with jam, fresh fruits, maple syrup, whipped cream or nut and seed butters. I have topped my eggless whole wheat waffles with a drizzle of almond butter and fresh strawberry.
Whole Wheat Waffles Recipe
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons liquid sweetener
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 Cup milk (for vegan option use non-dairy milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Water if required
- Step 1 In a large bowl, add whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and mix together.
- Step 2 In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients, coconut oil, sweetener, milk and vanilla extract together with a whisk.
- Step 3 Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Beat the mixture very lightly, making sure that you do not over-beat the batter.
- Step 4 If the batter is stiff, then you need to add a little water. Batter shouldn’t be very thin, it should be nice pouring consistency. Brush the pre-heated waffle iron with melted coconut oil or you can use non-stick cooking spray as well. Pour the batter right into the centre of the waffle iron, evenly distributing the batter at the sides. Cook the waffles until done. You can enjoy waffles with jam, fresh fruits, maple syrup, whipped cream or nut and seed butters.