These mushroom stuffed zucchini is delicious vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free dinner. This is perfect to make when you are craving something spicy, cheesy and want to eat minimal calories. This recipe is flavorful, healthy, and my family favorite! This recipe is even helpful when you are trying to lose weight as it is made with lots of veggies.
Zucchini is favorite among low-carb dieters and anyone who wants to lose weight fast. zucchini has a very low score on the glycemic index. Due to its high water percentage, zucchini is low in calories, carbs and sugars, but high in essential nutrients like potassium, manganese and antioxidants like vitamin C and vitamin A.
Making these mushroom stuffed zucchini is very simple and easy. Start by preheating the oven and while that is happening we can prepare our stuffing. Heat oil in a pan then add onion and bell pepper and sauce them until soft. Then add mushroom and corn and sauce them. Make sure that the moisture in the mushroom evaporates before stuffing them into zucchini. This mushroom stuffed zucchini is great for kids as well, because it is packed with lots of veggies.
Mushroom Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 1 Large zucchini
- ½ Cup mushroom, chopped
- ½ Cup corn kernels
- ¼ Cup bell peppers, chopped
- ¼ Cup onion, diced
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 Teaspoon chilli flakes
- ½ Teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheese
- Step 1 Start by greasing a casserole dish then set aside. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller or metal teaspoon, hollow out the center of zucchini.
- Step 2 Next heat the teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 3 Then add the mushroom and corn along with the chilli flakes, oregano and cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 4 Stir everything together and continue to cook for about 5 minutes then remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Step 5 Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C. Spoon the filling inside of each zucchini until they are all full.
- Step 6 Sprinkle each one with cheese then arrange them in the dish and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then remove the foil.
- Step 7 Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes and serve.