This Kale Quinoa Strawberry Salad is vegan, gluten-free and healthy. Prefect for everyone also for anytime of the day. You can have this crunchy in your lunch, this also serves as perfect side dish for any of your meals. For the base of the salad, I have used kale and as we all know kale is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin A, manganese, and copper; a very good source of vitamin B6, fiber, calcium, potassium, vitamin E, and vitamin B2; and a good source of iron, magnesium vitamin B1, omega-3 fats, phosphorus, protein, folate, and vitamin B3.
To make this salad for filling and protein packed, I have used quinoa. Quinoa is an awesome superfood. It is a plant-based complete protein with all the amino acids, also its vegan and gluten-free. Along with kale and quinoa I have used strawberry and almonds. Strawberry is full of anti-oxidants and gives nice sweet taste to the salad. Almonds gives nice crunch to the salad and they are packed with good healthy fats.
The sweet taste of strawberry pairs perfectly with the tangy lemon dressing. I have used lemon dressing in this Kale Quinoa Strawberry Salad, but you can use salad dressing of your choice. I have tried this salad with balsamic vinaigrette and it tasted well. You can also use nuts of your choice, try walnuts in place of almonds, also you can use combination od almonds and walnuts too.
Kale Quinoa Strawberry Salad Recipe
- 4 Cups fresh kale, roughly chopped
- 8-10 Strawberries, hulled and cut into slices
- ¼ Cup slivered almonds
- ⅓ Cup quinoa, rinsed under running water in a fine mesh colander
- ⅔ Cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Lemon dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon/lime juice
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon liquid sweetener
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Cook the quinoa: In a small saucepan, combine the rinsed quinoa and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 to 17 minutes. Remove the pot from heat, sprinkle in ⅛ teaspoon salt and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Let the quinoa cool, uncovered, for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Step 2 Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, honey, salt and pepper until emulsified. Set the dressing aside.
- Step 3 Assemble the salad: In a bowl, combine the chopped kale, sliced strawberries, warm quinoa and almonds. Drizzle in just enough dressing to lightly salad and toss.