Mung beans — a type of small, green legume in the same plant family as peas and lentils — is a high source of protein, fiber, antioxidants, manganese, potassium, magnesium, folate, copper, zinc and various B vitamins. Mung beans are vegan and gluten-free and a great source of plant-based protein. This garlicky mung bean salad is a perfect way of consuming this superfood. This mung bean salad is healthy, easy and simple to make and it is packed with protein and fiber. Mung beans and edamame both are high in protein.
Edamame is a young soybean that has been harvested before the beans have had a chance to harden. You can buy them shelled or in the pod, fresh or frozen. Edamame is naturally gluten-free and low calorie, contains no cholesterol and is an excellent source of protein, iron, and calcium. So it is great to add in all the salad recipe. Adding edamame to mung bean salad pump ups the protein content.
I love eating french fries, but they are made by deep frying which is not healthy, so I made this potato wedges in the oven which tastes great and you can enjoy them without feeling guilty. The potato wedges pairs perfectly with the garlicky flavour of salad.
MUNG BEAN SALAD RECIPE
- 1 Cup cooked mung beans
- ¼ Cup edamame
- ⅓ Green peas
- 2 Teaspoons oil
- 1 Clove garlic grated
- ¼ Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 Large potato
- 10-12 Cherry tomatoes
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C. Cut potato into wedges.
- Step 2 In a large mixing bowl add potato wedges, 1 teaspoon oil, salt, pepper and toss together. Spread on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 3 While potato is baking lets prepare mung beans. Bring water to boil in a medium sauce pan then add green peas and edamame and cook until they are tender around 5 minutes.
- Step 4 Once cooked drain them and set aside. You can cook them in microwave as well.
- Step 5 Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and add grated garlic. Sauce for 30 seconds.
- Step 6 Add cooked mung beans, green peas and edamame. Add the spices and mix well.
- Step 7 Cook this mixture for 3-4 minutes, make sure mung beans, green peas and edamame are coated with all the spices.