Okra is one of my favourite vegetables. I can eat okra every single day. I used to carry okra curry to my lunch box when I was in school. I have learned this okra curry recipe from my mom. Okra curry can be enjoyed with rice or even naan.
Okra contains potassium, vitamin B, vitamin C, folic acid, and calcium. It’s low in calories and has a high dietary fiber content. So it’s a good adding to your healthy diet. Preparing okra curry can be little bit time consuming as we need to prepare okra and curry separately. but trust me the outcome is very delicious. I like to enjoy my okra curry with brown rice.
Okra Curry Recipe
- For the tomato paste:
- 3 Medium tomatoes
- ½ Inch ginger
- 4 to 5 Garlic cloves
- For Okra
- 1 Cup okra chopped
- 1 Small onion
- ½ Teaspoon kasuri methi
- 2 Tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 Bay leaf
- ¼ Teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ Teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ Teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ Teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ Teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 Teaspoons oil for sautéing bhindi
- 2 Teaspoons oil for making gravy
- Salt to taste
- Step 1 First rinse okra very well in running water a few times, then drain them completely in a strainer.
- Step 2 Wipe each okra with a kitchen napkin. There should be no moisture on them.
- Step 3 Chop the okra into 1.5 to 2.5 inch pieces. keep aside.
- Step 4 In a blender jar, take roughly chopped ripe red tomatoes, chopped ginger, chopped garlic cloves and without adding water, grind or blend to a smooth paste.
- Step 5 Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan, add the okra and sauté them on a low flame, till they are almost cooked, shrinked and lightly browned from the sides.
- Step 6 When done remove the sautéed okra and place them in a plate or tray.
- Step 7 In the same pan heat oil, then add bay leaf and chopped onions. Sauté the onions till they start to turn light golden.
- Step 8 Add the tomato paste along with all spices, be careful while adding ground paste as it splutters.
- Step 9 On a low flame sauté till the masala paste thickens and you see oil leaving the sides.
- Step 10 Add about ½ cup water and stir very well. Adjust quantity of water as per desired consistency of thickness of gravy.
- Step 11 Add the sautéed okra and mix everything.
- Step 12 Bring the curry to a simmer on a medium flame. cook for about 5 to 6 minutes till the gravy get infused with the aroma and flavor of the okra.
- Step 13 Add ½ tsp kasuri methi, crushed, stir and then add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Stir again and switch off the stove top.
- Step 14 You can enjoy okra curry with rice or naan.