This Spinach Lentil Curry is perfect for lunch or dinner as it is healthy, nutritious and delicious. This spinach lentil curry is packed with goodness of spinach and lentils. Also, this is high in protein and fiber, vegan as well as gluen-free. This spinach lentil curry is a great way of including more green leafy veggies to your diet. Preparation of this curry is quiet simple and easy, you just need few simple ingredients.
So for preparing spinach and lentil curry, first we prepare lentils and while lentils are cooking we can prepare curry. For spinach puree, first we need to blanch spinach. By blanching spinach, we don’t taste any rawness from spinach and it tastes even better. You can enjoy this spinach lentil curry with brown rice or naan. This curry can also be enjoyed as soup, you can add some boiled pasta and this curry will be spinach lentil and pasta soup, a perfect hardy meal for any time of the day.
SPINACH LENTIL CURRY RECIPE
- 6 Cups fresh spinach
- 1 Cup uncooked green lentils
- 2 Teaspoon olive oil
- ½ Onion finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Inch ginger peeled and grated or minced
- 1 Green chilli chopped
- 1 Teaspoon garam masala
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon jaggery
- Step 1 Add the lentils to a saucepan along with enough water. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain the cooked lentils and set aside.
- Step 2 While the lentils are cooking start preparing curry. Heat the oil over medium heat in a pan, add the onion and cook until softened and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin seeds and cook for about 1 minute. Add the garlic, green chilli and ginger, stir, and cook for about 1 minute, or until the garlic and ginger are fragrant and slightly softened. Add the garam masala and cook for thirty seconds until fragrant.
- Step 3 Stir in the ½ teaspoon salt, lime juice, diced tomatoes, and jaggery, and reduce the heat a little bit. Cook for about 10 more minutes, until the tomatoes are starting to break down.
- Step 4 While tomatoes are cooking bring water to a boil in a saucepan and blanch spinach. Add spinach to boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes drain water and allow spinach to cool. Once cooled, puree spinach.
- Step 5 Once the lentils and tomato mixture are both finished cooking, stir the lentils into the tomato mixture. Add the spinach puree and stir well. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if required. Serve hot along with some brown rice or naan.