If you are trying to lose weight, then my friends zucchini is your new companion. Zucchini is low in saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Vitamins, Thiamin, Niacin, Phosphorus and Copper, Dietary Fiber, Magnesium, Potassium and Manganese. So, I always find new ways to introduce this superfood in my diet. This recipe is very easy to make and it is very delicious.
The filling is made using quinoa, black beans, corn and spices. I used quinoa in this recipe but feel free to add another grain of choice. Even using brown rice in place of quinoa would taste good. I have served stuffed zucchini with salad made with shredded purple cabbage, carrot and cucumber.
Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 1 Large zucchini
- ½ cup Cooked black beans
- ½ cup Cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup Diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup Onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons Corn kernels
- 2 Tablespoons Bell pepper chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Shredded cheese
- Step 1 Start by greasing a casserole dish then set aside. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller or metal teaspoon, hollow out the center of zucchini.
- Step 2 Next heat the teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the quinoa, corn, and beans along with the tomatoes, chilli powder and cumin.Add salt to taste. Stir everything together and continue to cook for about 5 minutes then remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Step 3 Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C. Spoon the filling inside of each zucchini until they are all full. Sprinkle each one with cheese then arrange them in the dish and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then remove the foil.
- Step 4 Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes and serve.