Summer is finally upon us, which means more cherries, salad, bbq and pool parties. The salad recipe that I am sharing today is great to beat the summer and perfect to feed the crowd at any pool or bbq party. This Cherry Chickpea Salad recipe is light and refreshing with a perfect balance of protein, carbs and fat. This cherry chickpea salad is vegan as well as gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy this. I love to enjoy this salad as lunch, but you can also serve this salad along with any of your favourite main side.
This cherry chickpea salad is combination of two of my favourite food items cherry and chickpeas. Chickpeas are a type of legume that offer a range of health benefits. Chickpeas help to increase satiety, boost digestion, keep blood sugar levels stable, increase protection against disease and more. Chickpeas nutrition is a potent package of protein, vitamins and minerals, which is why they are often included in many healing diets. On the other hand the nutrients and bioactive components in cherries are extremely beneficial to our health. Cherry intake is associated with the prevention of cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, inflammatory diseases and Alzheimer’s disease. The benefits of cherries come from their high levels of antioxidants that fight free radical damage and protect our cells.
Now let’s start preparing this awesome cherry chickpea salad. The process is very simple and easy as there is no cooking required. You can used canned chickpeas or prepare your own from dried chickpeas. Along with cherries and chickpeas, I lave added spiralized carrot, lettuce and sliced almonds. Almonds gives nice crunch and also provide healthy fats. For the dressing, its very simple and my all time favourite balsamic vinaigrette.
Cherry Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 1 Medium carrot
- ¼ Cup sliced almonds
- 1 Cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 Cup cherries
- 2 Cups chopped lettuce
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons liquid sweetener
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Step 1 First lets do all the chopping work, so chop the lettuce, we need about 2 cups. Then carrot, I have spiralled carrot, but you can even thinly slice them.
- Step 2 Remove the pit from the cherries and cut in half.
- Step 3 For the chickpeas, I have sauted them a little in a pan without any oil to get nice crunchy outer layer, but you can leave that if you want.
- Step 4 For dressing, whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Step 5 For assembling salad, In a large bowl add lettuce, chickpeas, cherries, carrots and almonds. Pour the dressing and toss everyone together.